Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Coping with One-of-each-itis...

I got my copy of Fine Gardening last week. It usually takes me a few days (or weeks) to get through it depending on work/gardening/dog walking/Lucy and Helen diaper changing/weather permitting schedules. I really enjoyed this edition.
I also found out that I have a disease (one-of each-itis). It is where you, and I quote, "pop into the nursery and a stunning new cultivar whispers, 'Psst! Take me home?' Immediately, you hear that little voice in you head saying, 'never buy just one of anything.' But there you stand, plant in hand, feeling the familiar symptoms of one-of-each-itis. You know that these impulsive splurges are precisely the reason your garden is a messy hodgepodge of cool plants. (this is where I differ from most of these sufferers. Mine is a nice messy hodgepodge of cool plants) But the temptation is too much. You buy it anyway."
The article goes on to recommend transplanting everything so that colors, textures, foliage, etc. match. I don't know if I will dig everything up come spring, but it nice to know that the next time someone asks why did I plant that there or alludes the the hodgepodgety of my garden, I can now blame it on something else!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I have the exact same disease! I try to at least group color schemes so it's not a total mess.
    It's 'cottage-style' gardening, right? It's all part of the plan, uh, yeah...

    ReplyDelete