Saturday, April 7, 2012

Mostly about what spring sprung...

It was a beautiful weekend. Lots of sunshine, almost like spring hasn't forgotten us completely. The birds were singing and God is in the heavens and the garden seemed to be calling.
I felt as did Prince Rilian in C.S. Lewis' the Silver Chair: Friends, when once a man is launched on such an adventure as this, he must bid farewell to hopes and fears, otherwise death or deliverance will both come too late! 
So bidding hopes and fears adieu, I went outside to bask in the all natural vitamin D. I started in back because the sun hits back there first. I had moved two planters up front last week, so there were two mounds of dirt (filled with grass, dandelions, etc) I got all of the weeds out and had two nice piles of dirt for planting potatoes. After planting them, I weeded out our unused hoop house and got that ready for tomatoes. Then I weeded out the rose garden that runs along the backside of our house. It wasn't too bad yet, but grass and dandelions love to spring up there. I don't remember having the dandelions flowing this early before, but I knew if they go to seed, there is going to be trouble right here in river city (but pool won't have much to do with it).
(On a side note, I think there should be a prize offered by some horticultural society or other for the largest uprooted dandelion with all roots attached. My best roots were about 12" long, but it is always fun to see how low do they really go - and they'll be back if you don't dig it all the way out. One seemed to be headed for China... but no need to go into that.)
Back to the weekend. Lucy came out to help after all this, so we dug up more dandelions in the front. She thought they were mighty pretty. I wanted to hang their mangled remains on a line in our front yard to warn off others (like Robison Crusoe did with the birds that were eating his grapes) but my wife thought it just might not look very nice and what would the neighbors say!
Then I filled in the planters from last week with new dirt and lanted everbearing strawberries in one and walla walla onions in the other.
After that, we water this and that, and fertilized that and this. Spiffed up the roses, planted some larkspur, black berry lilies, and foxgloves (all self seeding perennials so they should expand!).
This all may sound like a lot of work, and it was. However, when the sun is out and spring in the air, most gardeners can give of their best for quite a while. I didn't get everything done that I wanted to, but Sunday is almost here, and it is supposed to be nice again!
Last of all I set out some nice large rat traps. I hope to have good news in the morning!

Happy Easter! He is risen! 


Viola Planter
They should look nice!

Foxgloves

The Kitchen Garden


"Don't forget to weed over there"



Forget-me-nots

Lucy like Dandelions 

2 comments:

  1. Happy Easter! The work outside in the sun never feels much like work when your heart is content with it. Great C.S. Lewis quote! Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see how the kitchen garden evolves. Having a pretty view from the kitchen sink is vital.

    ReplyDelete