Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The good, the bad, and the ugly...

Gardening is one of those bitter sweet vocations. You love and care for each little plant and some turn out wonderful and abundant, while others turn up their toes and shrivel away. I should know this already, as my mom and dad raised us children (my brother, sister and self) all the same way - and yet I began biting people when I was two years old. and my brother and sister seemed perfectly ok. (this was 27 years ago - I have since stopped biting people... for now)
Well, this year in my garden it is no different. One plant looks like something a not too fastidious cat dragged in the night before, while the other abounds and even needs extra staking. If Shakespeare were around, he would probably nudge the fellow next to him and say, "What meat doth this tomato plant eat to have grown so large!". Below are a few examples in my yard. All were planted at the same time, had the same watering and fertilizing schedule, and the same sunlight - yet the results are quite different. I guess it is all part of the zest and spice of life.

Tomatoes


Alyssum 


Sweet Peas


Sunset in July of 2012

Well, enough with the philosophizing. Time to turn in and retire to "Sleep that knits up the raveled sleeve of care, the death of each day's life, sore labor's bath, balm of hurt minds, great nature's second course, chief nourisher in life's feast."

1 comment:

  1. Really interesting to read your post. your word and sentence is good. your garden is awesome.keep it up.

    ReplyDelete